Two Tiaras and a Sword

Saturday, February 20, 2016

February 20, 2016

Saturday!  Finally!  Today was the last high school cheer competition for the Oldest Princess. She rode with some family friends who picked her up at 5:00 a.m., and boy did 5:00 a.m. come early!  As soon as she left, I got up and started getting ready.  It was hard to motivate the Youngest Princess to get up and get going.  She was especially not happy when she realized that she had to wear a "school shirt" as she put it - Gasp! - on a Saturday!  I told her she needed to show support for our school and her sister.  She was a little bit okay with it after that.

We left to go meet the Gray Ghost.  I took my earbuds and listened to the First 5 Weekend Wrap-up on the way.  I am going to have to watch it again, because it was really good, and there were several things I wanted to take notes on.

We stopped to get us all a breakfast biscuit, and we ran to the gas station to fill up the tank before we left.  Then we went to the park-n-ride, where we were to meet the Gray Ghost.  But alas! He was not there.  We drove to another little place where people park and ride, but he was not there either.  We went back to our first spot.  We texted him.  We waited.  We called him.  We waited.  No Gray Ghost. We had to leave, or we were going to be too late to see the competition ourselves, so we left without him.  I figured that since he was not answering our texts or phone calls, that he was still sound asleep.

Our trip there was quiet.  The Young Prince had his earbuds in listening to music.  The Youngest Princess promptly fell asleep and slept the whole way.  I read, and My Prince listened to music.  I got really sleepy, and told My Prince I was going to nap, and he told me we were about ten minutes away from our destination, so no nap for me.

We got inside, and the girls told us that they had saved seats right up front.  So, because we love them, we sat right up front.  And in between each group that competes, all the squads stand in front of the crowd, and cheer as loud as they can all at the same time, competing for the spirit award.  It is VERY LOUD.  Especially if you are on the front three rows.   Did I mention that we love our girls.  We really love our girls.

After we sat down, My Prince had a missed call from the Gray Ghost.  He then text and said that his alarms had not gone off, but that he was on his way.  We told him that they were about to start, and that they would be done competing before he could get there.  The Young Prince (sitting on the second row with us, about two feet away from cheerleaders who live in another state, yet take home our state trophy every year, who were yelling cheers at the top of their lungs trying to win the spirit award) texted the Gray Ghost and told him that it might have been a gift from God that his alarm did not go off - I know it was one of those "you just had to be there" moments, but it was really funny, and we needed some humor just then.

I wish I could say that our girls did their very best, but I think their nerves and being very tired worked against them today.  Unfortunately they made a few mistakes and had some deductions that cost them.  They did well, just not as well as they had wanted.  We still think that they are awesome, and are very proud of them.

After the competition, we had a while to wait before the awards ceremony so we, along with several others, went to the mall to hang out and eat an early lunch.  The Youngest Princess and two of her friends bought necklaces that are magnetic and stick together.  They were really cute.  The Young Prince bought a cool new pair of tennis shoes.

We went back for the awards ceremony.  Neither of our stunt groups, or our varsity team won anything.  It was sad.  But sometimes that is the way it is.  Not everyone can win everything, and life is about learning to lose as well as win.  But I had really hoped, that just this once, we would beat the team that is not from our state, yet always manages to take home our state trophy (I have a pretty strong opinion on that).  Just once would have been nice.

Before heading home, we stopped back by the mall so the Oldest Princess could get a pair of tennis shoes like her brother - she had decided after he bought some that she would like some too.  Unfortunately they did not carry them in her size.  Bless her heart, it just wasn't her day!

I think all three kids slept the better part of the way home.  I did a little dozing, and a little reading.  When we got home the Youngest Princess went straight upstairs and got into bed, clothes and all.  I went up to check on her, and snuggled with her for a few minutes.  She then decided to come downstairs instead of going back to sleep.

The Young Prince saw a squirrel out the window, and grabbed his pellet gun to do some squirrel hunting.  The score?  Young Prince (1), squirrels who like to get in my attic (-1). Woo Hoo!! Does anyone else hear the "Hallelujah Chorus" playing in the background, or is it just me?

My Prince ran to the store and to grab us something to eat, and when he came back he told the Young Prince that there was another squirrel outside.  So he went hunting again.  He hit it, and it ran across the street, so we are not sure of its victory or demise.  But hopefully, if it survived, it will find that the grass IS greener on the OTHER side.  And stay out of my attic!  Don't get me wrong.  I have nothing against the little bushy tailed rodents that frolic and play in the forest.  Until they decide to enter my domain.  My home is not a squirrel friendly place.  As long as they stay where they are supposed to stay, I would be glad to let them live in peace.  But when they are gnawing me out of house and home, it. is. war!  And the Young Prince enjoys "hero" status for the month for his shooting abilities today.

While all of the squirrel hunting was going on, the Oldest Princess slept soundly on the couch.  Until it was time to go and meet her D-group girls for dinner and then back to the leader's house for a movie.  She got up and got ready to leave.  The Youngest Princess went to work cleaning out her playroom (Mrs. M, she is keeping her end of the bargain), and did a pretty good job of it.  The Young Prince went outside and played around with his camera.  He got some neat shots.  My Prince watched basketball.  I started work on my blog.

The Youngest Princess had an allergy attack, so we gave her some Benadryl, and I read a chapter of Mandie to her while she took her shower, to help with the allergy problem.  We relaxed on the bed, just talking for a few minutes.

Then we went back downstairs for family devotions.  The Young Prince read from Philippians 4:1-9.  We talked about that phrase in verse 6 "Be anxious for nothing", and how when we worry, we are really saying that we don't trust God to take care of what we are worrying about.  If we really trust God, then we won't worry.  We talked about the next time that we find ourselves worrying about something, then we should remind ourselves that "God has this," and leave it with Him.  Easy to say, hard to do sometimes.  But if we seriously trust Him, then it is possible.

The Young Prince and the Youngest Princess went to watch an old sitcom on television, and My Prince went upstairs to take about a 45 minute nap before he got to work putting the finishing touches on his sermon for tomorrow.

I worked on my blog, and now that I am pretty much caught up, I am going to go and get my Exodus study done for the day.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: