Two Tiaras and a Sword

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Day 6

They didn't live in a mansion.  They didn't have Ivy League educations.  They did not do anything that will be mentioned in history books.  You won't find them in Wikipedia.  They held no world records. They weren't sought after speakers or authors.  They were never on television.  They were not famous.  Nothing they ever owned will be sold in an auction, or put on display in a museum.  They were just average people.  Average people who worked hard all of their lives to provide for their family the best they could.

At least that is probably how most everyone else saw them.  I saw them differently.  I saw them as larger than life.  They were heros to me.  There was nothing that either one of them could not do, if they just put their mind to it.  They worked harder than any two people I know to make sure that we had not only the things we needed, but also most of the things we wanted.

They were honest, and godly.  They loved their country and their Lord, and taught us to do the same. They were faithful to each other, and stayed true to their "'till death do us part" vows.  They were fantastic grandparents, and loved their grandchildren abundantly.

No, they weren't rich, or famous, but I wouldn't have them any other way.  They were not perfect, but they were close, and I am thankful to have had them for as long as I did.  Today, I am thankful for  being blessed two of the greatest people that the world will never know...my Mom and my Dad.

No comments: