Two Tiaras and a Sword

Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Other Side of the Coin - Mom and Dad Boot Camp Part Two

Yesterday I blogged about having Mom and Dad boot camp for one of our children who needed a little guidance...today, I would like to share a story about the other side of the coin.  When all of that happened, I was upset with my child for slacking in such a way.  I knew the child needed to be disciplined in a way that would help them understand that is not the way our family rolls.

So, as I said in yesterday's blog, I went to talk to the teacher to figure out what the problem was...if my child was goofing off, not paying attention, etc. but before I could ask her about it, she began to tell me a story.  She told me about teaching a certain concept in Bible class, and hitting that concept pretty hard and heavy.  She said later, my child came to her with a repentant heart and attitude letting her know that they were guilty of something she had taught about.  My child, the one I was totally frustrated with over homework issues, listened to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and like an adult stood up and took responsibility for their actions.

Yes!!  THAT is what I'm talking about!  THAT is my child!!  I don't know WHOSE kid that was that didn't do their homework...but I TOTALLY recognize the child she was telling me about!

On top of that, this morning, when we woke the child up early, to begin the Mom and Dad Boot Camp, they got up with a good attitude, and did everything that was expected with a good attitude as well.  I was afraid that we would be in for a battle.  I really did not look forward to it.  But again, the child took responsibility, and faced the consequences.  Which probably helped us go a little easier on them than if they had acted with a defiant, angry attitude.

As much as I am not a proud parent over the homework shirking incident, I AM proud that my child realizes when they have done wrong, and is bold enough to face the consequences with a repentant heart and a good attitude.

I know my children are not perfect.  I know for sure that we have faced many battles in the past, and I am sure that there will be more battles in the future.  But as long as they are open to the voice of the Holy Spirit and willing to right their wrongs, I know they will be okay.  I love my children dearly.  I count it an honor to be able to help them learn and grow and become a godly young man and godly young women.

No comments: