Two Tiaras and a Sword

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thirty Days of Thankfulness -Day 17

The battle was raging, and as long as the leader held his staff up in the air, his army was winning.  But a person can only stand with their arms lifted for so long, before they tire out and need to rest them.  So the leader would get tired, and drop his arms.  When he did, the battle would turn, and the enemy would begin to win.  I am sure the leader gave it all he had, and kept his arms raised as long as he possibly could, but he was only human, and human strength only goes so far...

It's a good thing the leader had friends.  Two very good friends in this case.  They saw their leader's plight, and came in as reinforcements.  First they found him a rock so he could sit and rest.  Then they stood beside him.  One on one side, one on the other, and they lended their support.  Each one helped him keep an arm raised.  With the help of his two friends, the leader was able to keep his arms raised long enough for his army to win the battle.

The army: The Israelites

The enemy: The Amalekites

The leader: Moses

The friends: Aaron and Hur

The lessons God spoke to my heart while reading this story in Exodus 17 this morning:

Moses had a serious situation on his hands, but he was not fighting the battle.  He was simply appealing to God for help, and giving God the glory.  The Lord was the one doing the actual fighting. 
God doesn't expect us to fight our battles.  He only expects us to obey and give Him the glory, so He can fight for us.  I don't know about you, but that is pretty comforting to me!

When Moses' human strength to obey was gone, his friends came in as reinforcements.  Moses was willing to obey and give God the glory,  he was just humanly exhausted with the effort, and physically could not obey and point to the Lord any longer.  It was at that time that his two great friends stepped in and helped him out.  
There have been times in my life, when I have been willing to obey and want to give God the glory, but my human strength has been exhausted, and I have had friends step up to the plate and encourage me, and strengthen me.  There have been other times, when I have been able to step in and be that friend who encourages or lends strength to a person who is struggling.  I thank God for both situations...friends who help, and friends who I can help.

Moses alone would not have been able to keep his arms up long enough for the Israelites to defeat the Amalekites.  So God sent Aaron and Hur to strengthen and encourage him.  
God did not design us to do life totally alone.  He has provided friends and family members to walk through life with us, and to be there to strengthen and encourage us along the way.

The thing I am thankful for today:  Friends.  Friends near and far.  Friends old and new.  Friends I see everyday.  Friends I only keep in touch with through technology.  Friends who have stepped in an been my Aaron and my Hur.  Friends who have been my Moses.  I am thankful that God has placed each and everyone of you in my life!  I couldn't win the battle without you!

No comments: