Two Tiaras and a Sword

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thirty Days if Thankfulness - Day 10

Today I am thankful for our home.  It is over 100 years old, and has character from top to bottom (and small closets, because people didn't need big closets that long ago).  It provides safety and shelter.  It is where I "belong".  It is full of life and energy and laughter.  It holds our "earthly treasures", and is the launching pad for our hopes and dreams.  It is one of my most favorite places to be.  And right now, it reminds me of something that happened in college...

Every semester, we had a "White Glove" cleaning inspection.  And everything had to be perfect, or you would receive demerits.  My friend's parents came to visit, on the weekend of White Glove.  Her mother was very impressed at how wonderful the room looked.  That night, we had Fine Arts...where we dressed in formals and got a good dose of culture.  Anyway, after three girls plus several of their friends get ready in a small room for a formal occasion, let's just suffice it to say that the room is no longer in White Glove shape.  After whatever performance we attended that night, my friend's mom came back up to the room with us.  When we opened the door, and she saw the room, she proclaimed, "Oh my word!!  It threw up!!"  And that pretty much accurately described it.

So, why does my house, that I am very thankful for remind me if this college funny?  I wish I could say it is because it is in White Glove condition.  Unfortunately, that is not the reason.  The reason is because right now my house looks like it didn't just throw up, it looks like it has had a full blown case of the flu!

So, I am very thankful for our home, and I am also thankful for a day that I actually have some time to do some serious cleaning,  as well as for several great helpers in order to get the job done.  With that said I'm off to clean!  If you are planning on stopping by, please wait until tonight, so I'll have that much longer to get some things done...unless of course you are the laundry fairy or Mary Poppins, in which case you are welcome to stop by immediately.

No comments: