Two Tiaras and a Sword

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

May 17, 2016

Wow!  Just typing that date makes my heart beat a little faster.  It is almost here!  The day that the Oldest Princess will graduate from high school.  I can hardly even believe that I am typing those words! graduate. from. high. school.  in the same sentence with the. Oldest. Princess.  It just does not seem right.  But, I am getting ahead of myself.  When right now, I guess I need to go backward to yesterday, because I did not get to post.  So, let me first catch you up to speed.

5/16 - Monday - It was anything but an ordinary day.  Other than my usual morning routine.  Wake up.  First 5 devotion. Get ready for school.

At school we hit the ground running, because we had a ton to cover and very little time to do it in. We had to get finished with our school work by the time snack rolled around, because we were going to go to snack and then we were off to the park for our end of the year picnic.  Fourth grade went also, so we were able to be with the Youngest Princess, too.

We managed to get it all done, and then ate snack, and then we were on our way.  My Prince came along to be my driver.  On the way, the Youngest Princess and her friends sang Jesus Loves Me. But they did not sing it the regular way.  Oh, no.  They had to sing it the Unka way.  I text him and told him what they were doing and also told him very sarcastically that he should be proud.

We made it to the park, and played a few rounds of Four Corners.  One of my students was fascinated by looking for bugs.  After Four Corners, we played a friendly little game of kickball.  Okay, soooo, it wasn't really a friendly game.  It was a very competitive game, full of very competitive people.  And so there might have been a little bickering back and forth.  And after a while, My Prince had had enough.  He was in the infield sternly telling some of the kids not to take it so seriously and not to get upset with one another, when I heard him yell out.  I turned to look at him and he was on the ground, and I could see one of his legs from just below his knee up.  I thought that he had broken his leg, and that the other part of his leg was behind him.  I went running to him, and realized that he had stepped in a hole.  A good sized hole at that.  It scared me to death!  My Prince turned out to be fine, his ankle was a little sore last night and today, but he is going to be okay.  I got a good scare.  And I am very thankful that My Prince is okay.

After the kickball game, we ate lunch.  While we were finishing up lunch, My Prince found a teeny tiny praying mantis.  It was so cute!  I caught it and showed it to my student that was all about bugs.  We found a water bottle to put it in and let her take it home.

After lunch, we walked around to a couple of the historical sites.  In the church, some of the kids sat where the choir would sit.  We told them that they needed to sing a special for us, so they sang Amazing Grace.  They were being a little bit silly, but it was still beautiful to me.  I managed to get the last little bit of it on video.

After that, we loaded up and headed back to the school.  We got back to the school about an hour early, and half of my class had gone home with their parents after the picnic, so we just hung out until it was time to go home.

I had mentioned to My Prince that I had wanted to see a movie called The Abolitionists.  It was about a man who used to work for the government, who now works as a private citizen who works with the government to help save children who have been trafficked as sex slaves.  He goes in to other countries and works to help free these children.  I know it is happening.  I have done the research.  I have a heart to help.  I am praying about how God would have me to be involved in the war against trafficking.  I have ideas, and dreams.  I help when I can in small ways, but I am also praying for open doors, and bigger opportunities.  So, after the Oldest Princess and the Young Prince got home, My Prince and I went to grab a bite to eat and see the movie.  We were able to do a little shopping in between dinner and the movie.  I was glad, because I needed to get a gift for my secret pal for our reveal party on Thursday.

Then we went to the movie.  It was very sobering.  It was nice to know that there are people who care for others enough to put their lives on the line to save them.  These men get no glory.  They do what they do, for the love of children who are ignored, and forgotten by the best of us, and used and abused by the worst of us.  It was heartbreaking to think about.  Precious children with so much potential.  With hopes and dreams of their own.  Broken and abused in the worst of ways.  What in the world have we come to?  It makes my heart cry, "Even so, come Lord Jesus!"

After the movie, we came home.  The Youngest Princess was already asleep, but we spent some time with the older two before we all called it a day.

This morning, I woke up and did my First 5 devotion.  Then I began to get ready for my day.  The Oldest Princess had a babysitting job, and she had to leave earlier than I did, so I told her goodbye, and continued to get ready.

School went fast today.  We were only in for half a day.  We are finishing up and mainly taking tests and quizzes.  All teaching is done.  When we finished our testing, it was time for the kids to go to band.  And when they finished with band, it was time to go home.

After the kids left, I caught up grading everything, and putting my grades online.  I was able to conclude several subjects and fill out my certificates for those subjects.  My Prince and the Youngest Princess brought me lunch.  I finished up all I could, and then I came home.

As I came through the fellowship hall, I noticed that someone had set up the tables for high school graduation.  Thirteen round tables lined the walls.  Thirteen round tables that represent thirteen lives. Thirteen lives that we have had under our care for several years.  Some longer than others.  Thirteen lives that will be moving on after Friday night.  They will scatter to the wind, and they will never be together, the same again.  Did we do all we could to strengthen, encourage, and teach them what they need to know?  Will they make their way okay?  It is scary to think of them venturing out from the safety of these walls and halls and hearts and minds that have sheltered and nurtured them.  I am excited for them.  I am sad for us.  They are a special group, and the holes they leave will be huge. They will be greatly missed. Seven of them were my babies for a year of their lives.  One of them IS my very own. I love them all. Many of them have been to my house to spend the night.  Some of them have gone on vacations with us.  Many of them have sat at our table and have ridden in our cars. I hope and pray that they are better for it, this time that they have spent with us.  That in some small way, we have left our mark on them, taught them lessons that they will remember forever. Encouraged them to live closer to the Lord Who loves them more than they can EVER imagine. And I hate that this time has come to a close so very, very fast.  For some crazy reason, that empty room with thirteen empty tables made me more emotional than anything else so far.  I snapped a quick picture, to tuck the moment in my heart and memory.  Then I headed home.

Home with lots and lots to do before Friday night.

I started a load of laundry, and folded about 4 loads.  We did some general straightening up.  I opened the box of decorations that Aunt T had sent.  I text back and forth with Aunt T and with My Prince. Trying to finalize ideas and get things in order for graduation and the graduation party.  There are times that between the end of the year school stuff, and the stuff to get done for end of the Senior year stuff, and trying to get the house in order, and get ready for her Senior table, and her Graduation Party, that I feel as though I am drowning.  I feel like no matter how hard I try I am five steps behind where I am supposed to be.  It is overwhelming.  But, I just have to breathe deep and remind myself that it will be okay.  It will be okay even if everything is not perfect. And it won't be.  Not with me in charge.  I told My Prince earlier that I needed a personal assistant for the next couple of weeks to help me get things done.  But it will be okay.  What is done, will be done with love.  Much love, and to me that trumps a Pinterest perfect party.

My Prince brought home pizza because he knew I was stressing.  We ate and chatted for a few minutes.  A friend called, and we talked for a while I got teary, she cried some.  It was beautiful.  No, seriously, I don't know what I would do without my sweet friend that I can laugh with and cry with. We are going through different situations, but we both love and listen and understand.  It means the world to me.  I hope it means the world to her, too.

After I got off the phone, I helped the Oldest Princess work on a project for her Senior table.  Then I finished up on my blog.  Now, I am ready to go and read to the Youngest Princess and get some rest. I will try to blog again tomorrow, but if not, just know that I am crazy busy, and doing what I can to enjoy time with my family in between, and I will be back as soon as possible.

Until tomorrow, or until all the graduation dust (in our case glitter) settles...

No comments: