Two Tiaras and a Sword

Saturday, May 12, 2012

If She Were Here

If I were granted just one more Mother's Day with my Mom:

I would tell her I love her SO MUCH.

I would have her teach me how to make her Sunday roast, rice, and gravy, one more time, and I would pay more attention when she did.

I would tell her how much I admire her work ethic.

I would thank her for the hours and hours she spent sewing for me.

I would thank her for all she gave up, so I could have nice things.

I would push her harder and support her more when she tried to quit smoking.

I would thank her for all the prayers she said for me.

I would apologize for all the times I had an attitude.

I would hug her longer and tighter.

I would thank her for all of the time, energy, and money spent on practices, recitals, parades, competitions, costumes, and performances.

I would tell her I now understand how much she sacrificed for me.

I would hold her hand.

I would relish the sound of her laugh.

I would tell her how much I appreciate her amazing amounts of ingenuity and creativity.

I would thank her for being a living example of a true servant for the Lord.

I would catch her up on how strong, caring, loving, and talented all eight of her grandchildren have become.

I would let her win at any game we played, instead of being so competitive.

I would ask her more about her childhood.

I would tell her that things like ironing Easter dresses, and sometimes just the way the sunshine comes through the window make me miss her so much I can't breathe.

I would tell her she was right about so very many things.

I would thank her for every breakfast, lunch, and dinner she ever made for me.

I would help her more.

I would talk less, and listen more.

I would tell her how many times I have longed to pick up the telephone and tell her about my day - good or bad - and hear about hers.

I would tell her that I wish she had taught me to quilt.

I would tell her that I miss the playful side of her...board games, jacks, word finds, snipe hunts, and playing in the backyard.

I would tell her that I'd give just about anything to spend one more summer afternoon just sitting on the back porch with her and talking.

I would thank her for being faithful to church, and for making sure I was as well.

I would thank her for working hard to make our house a home.

I would tell her that I know she wasn't a perfect mother, but that she was the perfect mother for me.

I would tell her that there are days when I miss and long for her unconditional, only-a-mother-can-give love.

I would tell her that I miss her wisdom and encouragement.

I would tell her that I still chuckle about some of our insiders...Phillip Phineas, "What did you say?", the Thanksgiving Dressing, and "I started to bring a container of Texas dirt..."

I would tell her that I am VERY thankful to God for giving her to me as my Mother, and I hope tht she has the GREATEST Mother's Day EVER.

I wish she were...here.

No comments: