Two Tiaras and a Sword

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Review of Pattern of Wounds by J. Mark Bertrand

Pattern of Wounds is a murder mystery novel by J. Mark Bertrand. The main character is Houston homicide detective Rowland March. March is investigating a murder that his instincts tell him is a copy cat murder to a case he has already solved. A kink is thrown into his theory however when a Harris County detective tries to prove that this murder is the latest in a string of serial killer murders.

The characters are well developed, especially the main characters. They face true to life problems and issues. The plot kept me guessing, and surprised me to the very end.

I wish I had known that this was the second Rowland March book series so that I could have read them in order. I felt several times that I was missing some information by not having read the first book in the series. I was drawn to the book because I love mysteries, and because the book is set in Houston, my hometown. It was neat to be able to read about familiar places in a fiction genre. I did not like that he stereo typed the Harris County detective to look like a country hick. I also felt that at times things were covered in a little too much detail.

Overall, if you like mysteries, you will most likely enjoy this book. I would suggest that you read the first book in the series before you read this one.

I was given a free copy of this book by Bethany House Publishers for the express purposes of writing this review. The opinions expressed above are completely my own. I was in no way pressured to give a favorable review.

No comments: